Thursday, February 11, 2010

Carolyn's Current Read {Tess of the D'Urbervilles}:


Last week I started Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy {1891}. I'm really really enjoying it thus far {only on page 121 so about 344 to go!}. I'm a sucker for poetic language & this does not disappoint. People just don't write like this anymore!

I was totally creeped out by Alec D'Uberville the moment he was introduced...the back of the book sort of gave away the general plot & I'm great at solving mysteries {hehe!}...perhaps it was the cigar or the demeaning and false appreciation of Tess {you know sleazeballs who are all 'oh baby baby baby, blah blah blah,' but are really huge pervs. They enjoy wearing message t-shirts that say things like 'Single' & may have a propensity towards roofies-& equally tacky kinds of things}. Phew...long winded rant!

I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't read this yet, so I won't go into too much detail about where I am in the book. While I'm enjoying it, I sometimes want to give Tess a swift kick in the behind for allowing Alec to even be in her presence. Girls got to watch out for themselves!

While I'm busy finishing...Go turn some pages yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails