Sunday, February 14, 2010

Why not Try: Mint Tea


So, Brittaney & I are avid tea drinkers. I have been enjoying tea basically my whole life. I can't handle the caffeine or taste of coffee. Although, coffee milk & coffee ice cream are amazing, we now have to enjoy the non-dairy versions!

This past summer I spent some time in Morocco and totally fell in love with Moroccan Mint Tea. For those of you who have traveled to this lovely place, you know that this yummy drink is just about everywhere! I have had stomach issues forever {i.e newly discovered intolerance to lactose} & this mint tea just made my tummy feel better!

When I got home I decided to do some research on why? Turns out mint is awesome for you, especially in aiding digestion! I'm a big believer in natural alternatives to pharmacy purchased medicines; pills and other such things just scare me. So, super stoked to have found something that I would have consumed anyways that has a soothing effect on my tummy aches.

You can go here or here to read about about all the wonderful benefits, but to give you a short summary, mint helps to:

  • reduces stress & anxiety
  • discomfort from IBS {Irritable Bowel Syndrome}
  • nasal & sinus congestion
  • difficulty falling asleep
  • stimulates brain activity
  • I read somewhere else that it helps reduce excessive hair growth in women, so yah, rock on!
If you're a regular tea drinker, put down that Earl Grey or Green, & put some mint in your cup...or if you're more into coffee, why not give tea a try?

I'm trying desperately to find some authentic Moroccan Mint Tea in the states, but so far have been relying on my homemade brew {I use this recipe, if you're interested, but be warned it contains a lot of sugar!}

I did manage to locate a brand of authentic Tourareg tea, but it's not available for purchase in grocery stores. You can order it through this website, it's the first tea listed under Africa. My mainstay brand for mint tea would be The Republic of Tea's Mint Fields Herb Tea, which has spearmint, peppermint, & lemon in it & highly recommended by moi!

Happy brewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails