Thursday, August 19, 2010

Carolyn Recently Finished {Pharmakon}:

Brittaney sent this to me a few months ago & I finally got around to reading it whilst sunning myself at the beach. B did a post on this book awhile ago {read here}. I read it in about 4 days {hours & hours a day - don't you love when you have time for that!} & while it definitely held my attention I have some mixed thoughts.



I loved the family dynamics. They were authentic in every way - especially when it came to sibling rivalry & conflict. The research dealing with island herbs was intriguing {I'm into holistic medicine & tea}. I was annoyed with the doctors attitude towards the wealthy {even though I have expressed similar attitudes it was still uncool} & his dreams of cutthroat success. The book is divided into three segments -the final one dealing with the youngest son of the family. This was probably the most interesting & relatable, but it lost me at the end {or should I say non-ending}. The doctor's research engages a young man named Casper, which has irreversible consequences for the family. That plot, while intricately related to his research with the plant, seemed to be seperate - I felt that the two storylines could have been two different books because I wanted so much more from each than I got. Like I said -mixed feelings - it held my interest for sure, but it left me wanting more & not in a good way. It felt unfinished in my mind. I wanted to know what happened to Casper & why he is what he is more than anything & what the youngest son {Zach, later Z} ends up doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails