Thursday, December 2, 2010

Carolyn Recently Finished {Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiality}:



I'm a little conflicted about whether or not this truly counts (& I would love to hear what you all think) -because I listened to this book instead of reading it. I purchased my first Audiobook for my 6-7-ish hour drive back to school & I have to tell you -I LOVED IT. What a great idea & I can't believe I haven't done it sooner!

Anyways, I picked David Sedaris' new book Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiality (2010) because I have furiously read every single thing he has written & loved it. This was a little different than what I anticipated, but I'm glad I didn't read any reviews of it because I might not have selected it for my drive. It doesn't deal with his kooky family or people for that matter. It was 18 chapters (took about 3 hours to listen to) of "moral" stories with animal characters. What I love about Sedaris is that he captures how people really are & what they actually say/think -this book, although with animals, is no exception. On some of the stories I had to laugh out loud (alone in my car...) because I have had interactions with or know people or have been in similar situations and all the words/thoughts from the animals were the same.

Chapters include: The Cat and the Baboon, The Migrating Warblers, The Squirrel and the Chipmunk, The Toad, The Turtle, and the Duck, The Motherless Bear, The Mouse and the Snake, The Parenting Storks, The Faithful Setter, The Crow and the Lamb, The Sick Rat and the Healthy Rat, The Cow and the Turkey, The Vigilant Rabbit, The Judicious Brown Chicken, The Parrot and the Potbellied Pig, Hello Kitty, The Grieving Owl


I really loved this books -it was hilarious & very different from what I anticipated. I would absolutely recommend it! I could also totally see this book turned into an animated movie (à la Fantastic Mr. Fox) for adults (swearing, sex having animals and all....).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails