Friday, April 2, 2010

MUSIC: Folk Friday {Yael Naim}

Yael Naim

You've probably heard of her. And that's okay. It's kind of like putting your itunes on shuffle and coming up with a really good song that you forgot you had. Or finding $20 in your spring jacket!
Yes. Yael Niam is today's spotlight folk artist. She is of Franco-Isralie descent, giving her a very unique blend of modern French edge and poetry of the ancient Hebrew culture. She is best known from her hit single, "New Soul," which escalated to the top of the charts after Steve Jobs hand picked the song for the launch of the MacBook Air laptop.

She is a pretty cool chick having served in the Isreal Defense Force as a soloist in the Israel Air Force Orchestra. Her first album came out in 2001 and met some success, but in 2007 her self titled second album helped establish a much more series spot in the indie-folk music world.

She clearly has a sense of humor too. Her cover if Britney Spears' Toxic may actually legitimize the pop hit...

Yael has wonderfully adorable taste in fashion. Bold prints, eclectic mixing of accessories, and that long mane of hair (center part, so 1968!), she is a modern flower child and therefore has my heart!

Speaking of heart... she's also on the soundtrack of "House Bunny." I wouldn't care except my favorite favorite singer/songtress, Ingrid Michaelson, is also featured in the movie. I am tempted to say terrible things about the 2008 comedy, but given its fantastic musical tastes, I feel its only fair that I watch it before passing too much judgment. I know I know, I have a heart of gold...

Anyway, enjoy Miss Naim today.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails