Thursday, June 24, 2010

Phyllis Galembo

Galembo is a photographer {a professor of photography @ the University of Albany, actually} who is most interested in costumes, masquerading, & African culture. I'm quited enamored with her work; really gives off a particular vibe & has such presence! Visit her website to learn & see more.

Her most recent exhibition is in Amsterdam {I can't believe it's almost been 3 months since I returned!}:
She has published a total of 5 books:
  1. Dressed for Thrills, 100 Years of Halloween/masquerade costume {2002}
  2. Vodou: Visions and Voice of Haiti, by Phyllis Galembo {2005}
  3. Aso-ebi, Cloth of the Family {1997}
  4. Divine Inspiration from Benin to Bahia {1993}
  5. 1`Pale Pink, by Phyllis Galembo {1982}
Here are some of my favorites:

Morocco, 2009 {can't believe it's been more than a year since I was there!}



Sierra Leone, 2008-2009




Sodo, Haiti {1997-2001}



Fulani {Look at that fabric & those chunky beads...I'm in love!}




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails