Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Carolyn Recently Finished {In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto}:

I started this a few weeks ago & got through all but 20 pages of it in about 3 days & last night, after taking mucho time off from it to work on thesis malarkey, I finally completed it.


In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan is an AMAZING book! Seriously, add it to the NEXT BOOK TO READ list immediately. It's so simple & such a quick read I couldn't believe it. I used to be a nutrition major before I switched to Urban Studies/History/Historic Preservation/Public Policy/etc, so I'm really into this sort of writing anyways - I can handle some of the science & terminology, I mean. However, it wasn't really too heavy emphasizing the science behind it all - in a way it make sense because his argument was against food science. I actually couldn't believe that something like this hadn't been written before because, like I said, it's SO SO simple.

Eat Food. Not To Much. Mostly Plants.

I'm getting into the whole local food movement for my thesis for one, but also just in general over the last year or so. Check out this website for more information & make sure to find listings for local farmer's markets in your state!

Michael Pollan really has created a niche for himself with these kinds of books, eh? I plan on reading The Omnivores Dilemma after my mom finishes it & then perhaps I'll move on to Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. Then there is always Botany of Desire & Second Nature.

I'm going to give Alice I Have Been a try next- a lovely "borrow" from B {who reviewed it some time ago}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails