Friday, July 16, 2010

Farmers Market

Summer means farmers market time for me & farmers markets mean - besides fresh, local produce - trying new veggies/fruits for the first time. In this case, I didn't only try something new, but I found a whole new veggie I wasn't even aware of before - weird how that happens sometimes. Last Friday, I discovered Kohlrabi & unfortunately I forgot to take any photos of my creation, but you'll have to use your imagination.

Anyways, I saw this alien looking thing at my town's farmers market, asked what it was & for cooking suggestions, went home, did some googling, & ended up with a fabulous new non-mayo cole slaw that is so perfect for summer BBQ's.


Kohlrabi is a kind of cabbage/turnip thing & you can basically do anything with it eat it raw, boil it, bake it...think carrots. I found this recipe for a kohlrabi apple cole slaw with mint {you know how I feel about mint}. It was easy {all it requires is some cutting, which got a little tedious, but nothing too skillful} & super delicious. You have to eat it fast, since the apples don't last too long. Recipe here.


I'm headed back to the farmers market later today! I'll keep you posted on any new finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails