Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Green Eggs & Ham

In anticipation for the celebration of all-things-green tomorrow I was reminded of this very green book {thanks in part to the Food Network Challenge of Dr. Seuss cakes that I am currently enjoying}:


Green Eggs & Ham

{Dr. Seuss, 1960}


I could not, would not, in a house.

I would not, could not, with a mouse.

I would not eat them with a fox.

I would not eat them in a box.

I would not eat them here or there.

I would not eat them anywhere.

I would not eat green eggs and ham.

I do not like them, Sam-I-am.


Fun fact about this fun book: Dr. Seuss wrote it using just 50 different words, only one of which is more than one syllable {'anywhere'}. Sometimes it takes more creativity to work within the lines.


Dr. Seuss {aka Theodor Seuss Geisel}, originally from Massachusetts {more evidence that it's clearly the best place to be from} published over 60 kids books, including How the Grinch Stole Christmas {1957}, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish {1960}, & The Cat in The Hat {1957}. Surprisingly, he never had any children, stating: "You have 'em; I'll entertain 'em." As a former art camp counselor, I think this is a pretty good sentiment.


With so many fun books to choose from, I think the one I love the most has to be the Sleep Book {1962}. I love the crazy creature names {Foona Lagoona Baboona & the Krandles to name a few} & the rhyming pattern.


So, what's your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

1 comment:

  1. I had egg whites for lunch today! i thought about adding some green food dye but in the end decided just to pretend!
    p.s. i like the foot book quite a bit, if you are looking for a fun and quick read, this is it! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails